Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Marassa and Midnight - Review2 - Pt.3

Critique (my opinion) :

Marassa and Midnight was an excellent book in my opinion. I think that many people can easily relate to some of the feelings relayed in the story such as doubting themselves at one point in their life and a sense of feeling alone. To me this book took me on an emotional rollercoaster, at some points in the book I found myself cheering for the twins and then feeling afraid of the Great One as if I was a Maroon myself. This just goes to show how well written it was.

One of the things I liked most about this book was the exciting point of view of the revolutions of that time. I felt like I was in the era feeling the injustices and hardships the slaves faced. I usually do not like historical books but Morna Stuart mixed it into the story so you were learning as well as reading an adventure.

My favorite character in the book, suprisingly, was Tir Nan Og. I found myself liking him in particular because of what he stood for. Unlike the other whites of that time, he did not despise Negroes and had a heart. When he first came across Marassa, he was like the good Samaritan and put him in his own bed and tended to him as if he was his own child. Tir Nan Og, loathed how the Beke` treated the slaves and refused to fight alongside any of them. Tir Nan Og was a gentle, kind-hearted man who was also very robust, surviving the harsh life of a Maroon quite well. He also adapted quite well to the Negro culture. In addition to this I liked that he was very skilled in fencing.

In my opinion I think that it was a great book. It was suspense mixed with adventure. The book was well written so as to give us a sense of the setting. It also had very detailed descriptions, which gave me the sense that I was right there beside both of the twins in their adventure. I would recommend this book to anyone because it has a little of everything in there but especially to those who like history, suspense and adventure. Morna Stuart did a wonderful job with this story ,however, there were some parts of the story that she just gave a briefly explained and for that reason, I would give it a 9 out of 10.