Wednesday, January 2, 2008

To Kill A Mockingbird -The First Day of School Composition

“The First Day of School”
As told by: Ms. Caroline Fisher

Dear Journal,

I had no idea today would be so rough. I went to the Maycomb School with high expectations and anticipating well-behaved, uniformed children like I heard about at college. I dressed up and dolled myself up for the children; I had my best crimson nail polish on, my pumps and my favorite red-and-white dress. What I met at the school was a shock. Those kids were wearing almost the exact opposite of what I was. Boys were in denim shirts, and the girls looked like they were wearing potato-sacks. I don’t intend to be rude, but I believe that’s the normal attire around here. They were looking pretty haggardly.

The day started off alright, I guess. I introduced myself and thought the new first graders might like a story. I read them the story about cats to break the ice. I could tell they didn’t give two hoots about the story as they were very fidgety. I tried to spark their enthusiasm but they weren’t having it. Next, I started on the alphabet. That was common ground for us. I chose on Jean Louise Finch to tell me what was on the board. I had made a sad mistake.

Jean Louise Finch is something else. She is literate, which is very odd for a first grader. It is quite frustrating to try and teach a class when there are children like her –“know-it-alls”. What’s the point of teaching then if they’ve already been taught? What am I here for? I wouldn’t have it, so I instructed her to tell her father to stop teaching her. She needs to start fresh; besides, it would interfere with her reading here in school. I want everyone to be on the same page. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I let my frustration get the better of me and told her that her father was a bad teacher. I think she took it very seriously. Did I mention that Jean Louise writes too?

The children we not accustomed to my teaching methods. They’re county doesn’t know about the new ways that teach in the city. I tried flashcards, and I tried to introduce them to the Dewey Decimal System, neither of which proved effective.

By time the lunch break had come, I had had enough. Most of the children had brought their lunch to school…in pails. I don’t know what some of those kids were eating. Some of their lunches made my stomach twist and others looked like the children just scooped up something at the riverbank. Walter Cunningham didn’t have a lunch so I offered him a quarter. Jean Louise butted in – again, and mentioned something about him not being able to pay me back. I didn’t understand one word of it but I knew not to do it again, the boy was clearly embarrassed. I had to put that girl - Jean Louise in line so I took her to the front of the class and taught her that her behaviour was not acceptable. I gave her some slaps on her hand with the ruler. She didn’t seem very affected though.

After the children had returned from their lunch break was when the surprises started to appear. I had just calmed down and regained my patience with the children when I saw the vilest thing in the world. That boy …Burris Ewell – I’ll be darned if he doesn’t live in the sewer. He was an unkempt little thing, and cheeky too. I saw a louse crawl out of his hair. The thing is – it was normal to him! I don’t think he even noticed it! The kids called it a “cootie” but whatever that slug was I never want to see it again. I told the boy to take a bath – or at least wash his hair. This was the worst insult in his eyes! He got up and started to the door. Apparently in his family, the norm was to come for the first day of school, then disappear for the rest of the year. They definitely need more discipline in this town. That wasn’t all though –when the boy reached the door, he let loose a mouthful of words. Journal, those words aren’t even fit for the dirtiest person alive. I couldn’t help myself. That just sent me over the edge; I broke down and started crying at the desk. The children were very sweet and tried to comfort me – especially that gentleman – Chuck Little.

The day was not what I had expected. I quickly composed myself and thanked the sweethearts. Apparently they liked the story I read at the beginning of the day, because they told me to read them another. Who was I to protest? I read them a second story and at least I can say that the day ended on a good note.

Until next time,
Caroline.